Location: Spangdahlem, Germany
Overseas Regular, 100%-Time, Pay Grade 003
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) Europe seeks an Academic Advisor. The Academic Advisor reports to the Associate Director of Academic Advising. Required duties/activities to be accomplished by the Academic Advisor are listed below:
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Provide academic advising and curriculum planning to UMUC students based upon their specific educational and life goals
- Prepare tentative evaluations based on students' prior learning experience from both traditional and non-traditional sources
- Communicate with students on a daily basis by telephone, email, video, and in person at local UMUC education centers
- Relay academic policies and procedures in simple and accurate terms to students and education center personnel
- When appropriate, submit waivers on behalf of students to UMUC academic departments
- Stay abreast of developments and trends in the wider field of academic advising
- Produce accurate work under pressure
- Understand the needs of non-traditional adult students
- Be able to synthesize detailed information from various sources
- Display an independent, cooperative, and professional attitude when interacting with internal and external clients
- Participate in advising-related outreach events
- Assist the Associate Director, Academic Advising with assigned projects
- Other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree from a U.S. regionally accredited institution or foreign degree equivalent and two years of administrative work experience
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Analytical thinking for identifying, processing, and improving complex work projects
- Travel to other UMUC education centers is required; therefore, the candidate must be eligible to obtain a U.S. driver's license
- Work on nights and weekends may be required
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience as an academic advisor
- Other experience in higher education, customer service, or with military students
- A master’s degree
WHO MAY APPLY: Applicants with individual logistical support (ILS) preferred. Applicant must qualify for ILS as described in USAREUR Regulation 600-700, Section III, 7-13. Criteria under which applicants qualify for ILS are: must serve the US Forces exclusively; are not stateless persons; are nationals of a NATO state, excluding the host nation; are not ordinarily resident in the host nation. US Citizen preferred. Must have a valid passport.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.