Location: Yokosuka Naval Base, Japan
Overseas Regular, 100%, Full-Time, Grade 003
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) Asia seeks an Academic Advisor.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Evaluate students’ prior learning experience from both traditional and non-traditional sources to provide guidance to students pursuing UMUC Asia certificate and degree programs
- Prepare tentative evaluations based upon students' specific degree goals and provide general advising and curriculum planning to UMUC Asia students
- Communicate with students on a daily basis by telephone, email, and in person at their local UMUC education centers
- Participate in outreach events and assist with marketing
- Assist students with registration and actively work with the site staff to improve processes and increase enrollments
- Relay academic policies and procedures in simple and accurate terms to students and education center personnel
- Produce accurate work under pressure
- Understand the needs of the non-traditional adult students
- Be able to synthesize detailed information from various sources
- Display an independent, cooperative, and professional attitude when interacting with internal and external clients
- Other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution or foreign degree equivalent and two years of administrative work experience
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills and a high level of analytical thinking for identifying and improving complex work projects
- Strong attention to detail, quality customer service skills
- 1 (one) year experience with customer service, counseling/advising, military students or higher education
- Ability to absorb and apply numerous policies and procedures
- Ability to research and solve problems while considering multiple factors
- Knowledge of the military culture
- Successful applicants must be able to pass background check and meet requirements for individual logistic support (ILS)
- Work on nights and weekends may be required
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Master’s Degree
- Experience with PeopleSoft, GoArmyEd and SalesForce
- Proficient knowledge of computers including MS Office, Google Online Services, and other computer-based resources to include the Internet
- Previous academic advising or higher education experience
- Minimum of two years availability
WHO MAY APPLY: Applicants with individual logistical support (ILS) preferred. Applicant must qualify for ILS. Criteria under which applicants qualify for ILS are: must serve the US Forces exclusively; are not stateless persons; are not ordinarily resident in the host nation.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.