Office of Finance
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 2.2
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Accountant III. The Accountant III position reports to the Accounting Manager and is responsible for performing functions related to reconciling, preparing, maintaining and auditing financial information. This position will ensure that transactions are in accordance with UMUC, State and Federal policies/procedures and are recorded consistent with acceptable accounting standards.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
The following duties are typically expected of this position but should not be considered as all-inclusive:
- Prepare journal entries to record accurate financial transactions in a timely manner
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations; research and resolved identified discrepancies in a timely manner
- Identify improvements in business processes or procedures, while working with related departments, to aid in minimizing outstanding reconciling items
- Assist with annual financial statement preparation and audit to include supplemental journal entries, supporting schedules, variance analysis and auditor inquiries
- Receives non-student related checks for deposit; logs checks; researches and assigns appropriate accounting information
- Ensures accurate and timely recordation of financial transactions in conjunction with activities initiated by the State and the Office of Student Accounts
- Assist the Accounting Manager on other department related tasks as necessary
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree in accounting, business administration or other related field from an accredited institution of higher learning
- A minimum of three years accounting-related experience
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Any combination of acceptable education and experience, which has provided the necessary knowledge and skills to fulfill the requirements of this position, may be considered
Highly motivated, can work independently, handle multiple simultaneous projects, and prioritize workload as necessary to meet established deadlines
- Demonstrate skill to use financial information systems, ERP software (Workday) and other related software (Microsoft Excel)
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work effectively with all levels of faculty, staff, students, and administration
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, internal controls and financial analysis and reporting
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of higher education accounting and Workday Financial systems preferred
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.