Location: Business Office, UMUC Europe Administrative Headquarters, Kaiserslautern, Germany
Category: Overseas Regular, 100% Full-time, Grade 006
Description: The Chief Accountant reports to the Comptroller and is primarily responsible for overseeing Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions and related accounting transactions in compliance with UMUC policies, guidelines and business processes applicable to assigned duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise Accounts Payable staff and provide oversight to Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions and related business processes and accounting transactions;
- Ensure that employees and vendors are informed of policies, procedures and business processes on expense reimbursements invoice payments;
- Ensure that employee expense reports and vendor invoices are processed and disbursed timely and accurately;
- Ensure that the disbursements be made according to employees’ and vendors’ choice of payment method (ACH payment, USD check, Euro check or wire transfer);
- Reconcile Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable General Ledger accounts;
- Maintain and secure Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable records in electronic and/or paper format;
- Conduct research and expense analyses when required by the Comptroller and other departments;
- Ensure proper usage, replenishment and reconciliation of petty cash funds;
- Reconcile reportable and/or taxable employee reimbursements for monthly payroll;
- Ensure that Accounts Payable transactions are posted to the proper fiscal year for the fiscal year-end close and the year-end reports are prepared and submitted in accordance with the Fiscal Year-End Closing Schedule;
- Ensure improvements of Accounts Payable workflow and business processes and updates of Accounts Payable related guidelines and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from a regionally-accredited institution
- 2 years of management experience
- 3-5 years of accounting or accounts payable experience
- Ability to work with sensitive and confidential information
- Good computer skills and excellent spreadsheet and database knowledge
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work on variety of tasks with minimum supervision
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with attention to detail, prioritize, multi task, and meet strict deadlines
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Fluent written and oral language skills of the host nation (Germany)
- Over 3 years of management experience
- Over 5 years of accounting or accounts payable work experience
- Workday knowledge and experience
WHO MAY APPLY: Applicants with individual logistical support (ILS) preferred. Applicant must qualify for ILS as described in USAREUR Regulation 600-700, Section III, 7-13. Criteria under which applicants qualify for ILS are: must serve the U.S. Forces exclusively; are not stateless persons; are nationals of a NATO state, excluding the host nation; are not ordinarily resident in the host nation.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.