Collegiate Faculty, Nursing (RN-to-BSN)
The Sciences Programs
The Undergraduate School
12-Month Faculty, Regular, Full-Time
Location: Remote; Washington, DC Metro Area preferred
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a full-time Collegiate faculty member to teach in the Nursing for Registered Nurses (RN-to-BSN) Program. Specifically, we are looking for a faculty member with expertise and experience in the areas of Nursing Research, Leadership and Management, and Informatics, and experience teaching and developing content in these areas.
UMUC—one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First,” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMUC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMUC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop/revise content for courses, mentor and coach adjunct faculty, evaluate learning portfolios, participate in professional activities to advance the practice of Nursing, represent UMUC at Nursing events, and other special services, as assigned by the Program Chair, Vice Dean, or Dean including, but not limited to, some or all of the following:
- Help support the UMUC Nursing program by assisting with CCNE accreditation;
- Serve on various University or departmental councils, committees, and advisory boards;
- Faculty development and mentoring;
- Participation in University events such as commencement activities.
- The collegiate faculty member is responsible for teaching thirty (30) credits annually in the Nursing for Registered Nurses (RN-to-BSN) Program. (Releases from teaching may be granted for up to eighteen (18) credit hours per year for the incumbent to carry out the above duties.)
- The faculty member will also participate in other academic aspects of the University and contribute to the unit’s activities focused on the education of adult students and continuous improvement of curriculum and teaching.
- Collegiate faculty may have their duties adjusted to serve the needs of the University.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a Master’s degree in Nursing from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Current, unencumbered license as a Registered Nurse in Maryland or have a Multistate Compact License as a Registered Nurse.
- Experience in curricular matters, and in creating academic content.
- Minimum of five (5) years teaching experience in nursing.
- Familiarity with online learning management systems.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Doctoral degree strongly preferred.
- Experience teaching adult learners in an online environment strongly preferred.
- Experience teaching in an RN-to-BSN program preferred.
- Experience teaching in nursing science and research, leadership and management, and informatics preferred.
- Academic nurse educator certification (CNE) preferred.
The Nursing Program at UMUC
Please visit the following link to learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework: https://www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/bachelors-degrees/nursing-major.cfm
The Faculty Role at UMUC
UMUC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Collegiate faculty may have their duties adjusted to serve the needs of the University. Your role as faculty member will be to:
- Actively engage students through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem- and project-based learning demonstrations.
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
- Provide oversight and course management of the nursing courses.
- Interact with the faculty of the nursing courses.
- Provide feedback to the program chair on possible curricular improvements.
Faculty Training at UMUC
We are committed to your professional success at UMUC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation, FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
Faculty candidates will be required to provide official transcripts and a copy of their RN license during the candidate selection process.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.