Operational Portfolio Manager
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Operational Portfolio Manager, in the Project Management Office within Operations and Planning.
The Operational Portfolio Manager will proactively manage delivery across a portfolio of critical projects. This position will be responsible for maintaining a Roadmap of all Stakeholder projects and act as the primary interface between Stakeholders and IT. The Operational Portfolio Manager is accountable for engaging with key stakeholders to identify business objectives, solution alternatives and develop business cases for all projects within the portfolio.
The Operational Portfolio Manager will monitor, report on, and make visible project objectives and goals, status, issues, resource requirements, dependencies, and project plans.
The Operational Portfolio Manager ensures the AVP of the PMO is well informed of project activities and significant problems. The Operational Portfolio Manager is responsible for communicating and coordinating all aspects of the project with internal stakeholders across a variety of levels within the organization and will also provide necessary inputs on project objectives, processes, and details, as necessary.
The successful Operational Portfolio Manager has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the University, its operating functions and ongoing projects.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Stakeholders, Delivery Agents, Program Managers, Project Managers, and student facing departments in order to create successful partnerships with predictable results and credibility;
- Oversee the process for the documentation and approval of new initiatives;
- Apply techniques for effectively planning, monitoring and controlling programs;
- Establish regular portfolio reviews with Stakeholders and Delivery Agents. Hold Delivery Agents accountable on project commitments;
- Collaborate with the management team within the PMO to plan and implement operational improvements and execute change management plans;
- Define, analyze, and design key metrics and reporting needs required to measure the success of the IT portfolio;
- Requires a broad knowledge of UMUC operations and strategies;
- Outstanding program and project management, communication and interpersonal skills, analytic savvy and presentation skills are necessary - with a strong emphasis on interpersonal communications.
- Demonstrated ability to develop solid working relationships and mature them into partnerships;
- Must be comfortable negotiating, leveraging and influencing indirect reports in order to accomplish goals;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative and has the ability to effectively organize, multi-task, and prioritize a wide array of initiatives;
- Proven ability to serve as subject matter expert on projects and implementation plans;
- Ability to proactively manage portfolio of projects;
- Ability to communicate effectively and articulate complex ideas both verbally and in writing - across functions, teams and various levels of management
- Demonstrated understanding of project management methodologies and tools (Agile, Waterfall, etc.)
- Strong Powerpoint and Excel skills;
- Ability to anticipate problems and take pro-active approach to resolve;
- Strong business acumen including the ability to formulate, analyze, and interpret data;
- Ability to define business process requirements and evaluate how technology solutions may or may not fill business needs;
- Ability to drive and adapt to change in a dynamic work environment.
- Analytical and results-driven orientation, including ability to establish and improve operational and performance metrics, processes, and associated behaviors;
- Knowledge of UMUC processes and culture.
Required education and experience:
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning and a minimum of five (5)
years of relevant work experience, including at least two (2) years of mid-level management experience; and experience with project and program management.
Preferred education, certification and experience:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning in a business or technology-related discipline.
- Experience in the areas of enrollment management and high-traffic customer service environments.
- Experience with Salesforce and PeopleSoft.
- Experience with Relationship Management.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.