Social Work Program and Academic Associate Director
Location: Graduate and Partnership Programs, UMUC Europe Administrative Headquarters, Kaiserslautern, Germany
Category: Overseas Regular, 100% FTE - Full-time, Grade 007
Description: The Social Work (SOWK) Program and Academic Associate Director reports to the UMUC Europe Director of Graduate and Partnership Programs to help lead and administer the SOWK partnership program with Salisbury University. The SOWK Program and Academic Associate Director is a UMUC Europe employee responsible for providing leadership and oversight for the Social Work program (both graduate and undergraduate) and is also the undergraduate/graduate social work program expert and advisor for undergraduate/graduate students. Supervision is matrixed, reporting to the UMUC Europe’s Director of Graduate and Partnership Programs on administrative matters and to the Salisbury University’s Social Work Department Chair for academic matters. This individual works collaboratively with the UMUC SOWK Field Manager, SOWK Program Coordinator, Academic Advisors, and relevant colleagues and leaders at both SU and UMUC Europe. The UMUC Europe SOWK Field Manager and SOWK Program Coordinator report directly to this position. All of the noted responsibilities are conducted in collaboration with administrators located on Salisbury University’s main campus.
- Assume responsibility for the entire Social Work (SOWK) Program within UMUC Europe, including supervising SOWK personnel, program maintenance, compliance, and growth
- Serve as the key liaison with Salisbury University for day-to-day SOWK operations within UMUC Europe, ensuring coordination and communication with the UMUC Europe Director of Graduate and Partnership Programs
- Serve as lead academic advisor for undergraduate (BASW) and graduate (MSW) social work students, working with a team of UMUC Europe Academic Advisors and in conjunction with Salisbury University
- Recruit and coordinate hiring of faculty members as appropriate and necessary
- Mentor faculty, link them with the appropriate SU departments for course support, conduct peer evaluations on faculty
- Conduct orientation/basic skills training for SOWK students
- Work closely with UMUC field staff and Salisbury University to support pre-BASW students
- Serve as academic support and the social work subject matter expert for UMUC Europe sites
- Participate in Salisbury’s administrative team meetings and host Salisbury colleagues when they visit UMUC Europe for partnership reviews
- Teach social work courses as needs dictate, either in onsite, on-line, or hybrid format
- Consult and work closely with Salisbury University on MSW and BASW admissions; serve as a member of the SU admissions committee for SOWK students
- Collaborate with the Social Work Field Manager around field placements/internships regarding matching students with appropriate agencies
- Complete appropriate program reviews, tracking, reporting, and improvements based on Salisbury requirements, UMUC Europe contract needs, and UMUC Europe Vice Provost and Vice President/Director requests
- Coordinate SOWK course scheduling and assist with faculty assignments based on their knowledge, skills, and availability to teach
- Participate in recruiting, marketing, and outreach events and requirements for SOWK
- Other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master of Social Work from an accredited institution
- Two (2) years practice experience
- Valid US driver’s license and ability to obtain USAEUR license
- Successful applicants must be able to pass background check and meet requirements for individual logistic support (ILS)
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in Social Work or closely related field
- Clinical social worker license
- Two (2) years of teaching experience at the college/university level
- Familiarity with military social organizations
WHO MAY APPLY: Applicants with individual logistical support (ILS) preferred. Applicant must qualify for ILS as described in USAREUR Regulation 600-700, Section III, 7-13. Criteria under which applicants qualify for ILS are: must serve the US Forces exclusively; are not stateless persons; are nationals of a NATO state, excluding the host nation; are not ordinarily resident in the host nation.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.